It’s day 4 of America Saves Week, and we want to make sure that you’re covered for emergencies when life happens – not IF it happens.
An emergency savings fund consists of a small amount of money, usually in a savings account, that you do not have easy access to. Saving for this fund starts with small, regularly scheduled contributions that build up over time. Creating and maintaining an emergency fund can mean the difference between staying afloat when life catches you by surprise, finding yourself swimming in debt, or worse. There’s no time like the present to start an emergency savings fund – don’t get caught in the rain.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute hosted a huge Financial Literacy Fair in collaboration with Country Bank on Feb 23, 2016. This is the first of its kind in Massachusetts. Over 200 college students have signed up to attend the fair and 50 volunteers experts in the field. MA State Treasurer Deborah Goldberg and MA Senator Michael O. Moore, the Senate Chair of the Joint Committee on Higher Education, who sits on the Senate Ways and Means Committee and was a member of the Treasurers Task force on Financial Literacy will also be in attendance. Learn more about the event at http://wp.wpi.edu/dailyherd/2016/02/18/financial-literacy-2/.
- On the Texas Tech University campus, Red to Black is having themed activities all week. The group is not only raising awareness about Red to Black’s informative abilities but to also encourage students to make a savings pledge. The focus of the week is to have students set goals, and have the knowledge to know how to also save past that goal. Learn more information on Red to Black’s activities here.
Organizations like yours are sharing their activities and results with America Saves throughout the week. Find out more on what others have done for America Saves Week at https://americasavesweek.org/what-others-have-done/.
Thursday’s Events & Activities
- #WBChat with Wise Bread
- Date: Thursday, February 25, 2016
- Time: 12:00 pm Pacific, 3:00 pm Eastern
- Hosted by: @Wisebread with sponsored guest @AmericaSaves
Go Green and $ave Green — February 22-27, 2016 Air Force FCU is in the midst of a Go Green Initiative and we invite you to share how you save money by going green! The winner will receive a $100 Visa Gift Card. Visit www.facebook/AirForceFCU for more details.
Budget Hacks: From Research to Practical Webinar — Thursday, February 25th from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. Central
From money personalities and impulse spending to overcoming temptations, we have budget hacks for you! Budget Hacks: From Research to Practical is part of the Get Savvy: Grow Your Green Stuff webinar series from University of Illinois Extension and U of Illinois USFSCO. Join us in an interactive discussion of how to grow your finances! #GETSAVVY You can join for FREE from any computer with internet access. You’ll need working speakers or headphones to listen in. Ready to sign-up?
- To register and receive login information, visit: go.uillinois.edu/GetSavvyWebinars
Saving for Retirement — Thursday, February 25 at 12:00 p.m. Eastern
The Pennsylvania Treasury is joining with partners in the public and private sectors to host a free, five-part webinar series to help Pennsylvanians learn more about a variety of financial planning topics during America Saves Week, February 22 – 27. This 60-minute webinar is presented by Tami Noll Russo, CPA, CFP, and member of the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- To register for the webinar series or learn more, visit PA529.com.
Choosing a Retirement Solution for Your Small Business — Thursday, February 25th from 2:00 – 3:15 p.m. Eastern
Saving for retirement is easier than many small business owners think. There are a number of options that not only help you and your employees save for the future but provide tax advantages for employers and employees. As part of America Saves Week, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration, in coordination with the Consumer Federation of America, is holding a webcast for small businesses and their service providers on these retirement savings options and the use of direct deposit for saving for retirement and more.
- For more information, and to register, visit: http://mp163422.cdn.mediaplatform.com/163422/wc/mp/4000/15208/15211/57021/Lobby/default.htm
Making Your Credit Score Work for YOU! – Thursday, February 25 from 12:00 – 1:00 pm Pacific
How to: Obtain it. Fix it. Increase it. Optimize it. Free online financial workshop hosted by the Virtual Counseling Network and presented by Springboard Nonprofit Consumer Credit Management.
- Register at: https://aswcredit.eventbrite.com
Jumpstart Your Financial Plans With Your Tax Refund – Thursday, February 25 from 6:30 – 7:30 pm Eastern
Getting started on your financial plan is not as hard as it seems. Financial Planning steps allow you to get control of your monthly cash flow, reduce debt and build savings for your future. Your plan begins Provides eight steps to taking control of your finances. Audience will learn about budging, spending plans, setting goals, managing debt and more.