America Saves Week is all about motivating students to take financial action. One of the best ways to encourage students to save is to give them access to safe and affordable savings accounts.
During America Saves Week, work with banks and credit unions who can offer:
- No‐fee savings accounts with low opening balances ($25 or less) with incentives introduced during the week.
- Incentives for making deposits into current accounts, offer low cost IRAs, CDs or other wealth‐ building accounts, or offer special emergency savings accounts.
- Automatic savings through direct deposit or a transfer between checking and savings.
This FDIC Model Safe Account template will help you determine which savings accounts are safe and affordable to offer to students.
Work with banks and credit unions during the week by asking them to:
- Participate in on-campus presentations, workshops, and fairs.
- Set up a table in a high-traffic area like the student center or quad.